• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Rice, Grains, Vegetables,& Fruits! "MEGA THREAD!!" :)

Ds

Bluelight Crew
Hey all lets begin with "Rice", Rice is a great source of yumyums!
So I'm bored and feel like talking about good last resort foods lol.
=D :) :D ;) <3 8o8o8o8o8o8o
VVVVVV PLAIN RICE NUTRITION VVVVVV
----VVVVV-----------------VVVVVVVV---------VVVVVV---------------
Rice, white, long-grain, regular,
raw, unenriched Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 370 kcal 1530 kJ
Carbohydrates 79 g
- Sugars 0.12 g
- Dietary fiber 1.3 g
Fat 0.66 g
Protein 7.13 g
Water 11.62 g
Thiamine (Vit. B1) 0.070 mg 5%
Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.049 mg 3%
Niacin (Vit. B3) 1.6 mg 11%
Pantothenic acid (B5) 1.014 mg 20%
Vitamin B6 0.164 mg 13%
Folate (Vit. B9) 8 μg 2%
Calcium 28 mg 3%
Iron 0.80 mg 6%
Magnesium 25 mg 7%
Manganese 1.088 mg 54%
Phosphorus 115 mg 16%
Potassium 115 mg 2%
Zinc 1.09 mg 11%
Percentages are relative to US
recommendations for adults.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok so we know what "Rice" is, that white stuff that comes with every oriental meal. There are also: "Wheat Rices" that is better in Nutritional wise, but may cost a little bit more.

Ok moving on to the Grains! Foods such as your cereal: Your ""Captain Crunch", waffle crisp, Cinnamon toast crunch, cherreos, lucky charms, trix, etc.etc."
There is also your OATMEAL! The yummy mushy stuff that tastes AWESOME with pretty much anything!! Just add apple sauce, or your freash berries, and hell get crazy with it, add all sorts of cookie dough n syurp with a dap of vanilla seasoning and BAM!!! good shit ;)
Heres some more information on Grains "Wheats".:
OHHH ALMOST FORGOT!!! Ramen noodles contain "Enriched wheat flower", and alot of other shit.
Wheat germ crude (not whole grain) Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 360 kcal 1510 kJ
Carbohydrates 51.8 g
- Dietary fiber 13.2 g
Fat 9.72 g
Protein 23.15 g
Thiamine (Vit. B1) 1.882 mg 145%
Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.499 mg 33%
Niacin (Vit. B3) 6.813 mg 45%
Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.05 mg 1%
Vitamin B6 1.3 mg 100%
Folate (Vit. B9) 281 μg 70%
Calcium 39 mg 4%
Iron 6.26 mg 50%
Magnesium 239 mg 65%
Phosphorus 842 mg 120%
Potassium 892 mg 19%
Zinc 12.29 mg 123%
Manganese 13.301 mg
Percentages are relative to US
recommendations for adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient database

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YO!! I'm going to leave Veggies and Fruits open, Everyone has their favs and there hates!

SO Tell me!! What is your favorite foods that you like out of the bunch!!!!
Homemade food is the shit!
I like everything!!!! OMG I'd eat wheat right off the plant, seriously.!! I'll be the rabbit in a farmers farm munchn on carrots. mmmMMMMmm ;)!!=D=D=D=D=D

Nice thread!!!! I loooove vegetables and fruits and as for rice, I only eat brown, red and wild rice :D Will post again later. :)

I usually have a cup of steamed rice with lunch each day (along with chicken breast). I'll also eat oatmeal a few times a week. Veggies, well it's mainly V8 for me, but I like most fruits and will often eat fruit salads on the go (though these can be a bit high in sugar :\ ).

Red quinoa and teff are pretty interesting grains... great before a run.

I like sesame oil fried rice with starchy veggies... I can probably live off that stuff. I remember reading somewhere that it was invented by Mongol warriors who used their shields to stir fry stuff.... possible untrue but that would be cool if that was the history behind it.

I try to eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables but my favorites are red vine tomatoes and bananas. Beets, sweet potatoes, and carrots are pretty great. I like greens too, but usually blended up with other things. Coca is a nice alkalizing green and a pretty strong adaptogen. Avocados are fantastic too. And mangos. Herbs are great too... they're packed with nutrition and you don't need to use as much unless you want to... I like cilantro and basil and try to add them to everything. And of course, berries! My favorite tasting berry is the blackberry but I'm sure there are other more nutritious ones out there, and one can easily buy dried goji berries now.

There are lots of great plant foods... even carnivores would eventually die without them...

Brown rice is the bomb. I always have some around. I love chile peppers and have been growing them constantly for the last few years. There are way to many edible plants to mention here. I try to buy what's on sale and get a good variety.

Red quinoa and teff are pretty interesting grains... great before a run.

I like sesame oil fried rice with starchy veggies... I can probably live off that stuff. I remember reading somewhere that it was invented by Mongol warriors who used their shields to stir fry stuff.... possible untrue but that would be cool if that was the history behind it.

I try to eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables but my favorites are red vine tomatoes and bananas. Beets, sweet potatoes, and carrots are pretty great. I like greens too, but usually blended up with other things. Coca is a nice alkalizing green and a pretty strong adaptogen. Avocados are fantastic too. And mangos. Herbs are great too... they're packed with nutrition and you don't need to use as much unless you want to... I like cilantro and basil and try to add them to everything. And of course, berries! My favorite tasting berry is the blackberry but I'm sure there are other more nutritious ones out there, and one can easily buy dried goji berries now.

There are lots of great plant foods... even carnivores would eventually die without them...

WOW so fucking good, I would love fried rice.
I remember one time that I forgot to cook the rice and just threw it in a big frying pan with oil, ahaha it burned and they were crunchy :\

I love those ocean cashews? those are bomb...

Broccoli N CHEESE IS BOMB!!!!

This thread is so far out!

I like blueberries, apples and nuts.

I don't eat carbs that are enriched or white. I go straight for the whole grain.
I am a fan of quinoa and wheat couscous. The rice I eat is a combo of brown, red, barley, and rye.

Fruits: bananas, all berries, PINEAPPLE, pink grapefruit, grapes
Veggies: edamame, spinach, peppers, carrots, broccoli, green beans, asparagus

Most beans except lima and butterbeans are in our pantry. I will add white beans in pasta dishes. Black, navy, pinto and/or kidney in rice dishes. Chickpeas and/or pigeon peas in couscous. I will use spices to compliment to beans and carbohydrate. I buy very few pre-packaged or processed foods. I make a great 5 bean salad and whole wheat pasta salads.

These aren't necessarily my faves but they are in constant rotation of the grocery list. We eat a variation of the same meals weekly. It is easier for meal planning and budgeting. Besides, everything I make tastes good, provides energy and nutrition.

I don't eat carbs that are enriched or white. I go straight for the whole grain.
I am a fan of quinoa and wheat couscous. The rice I eat is a combo of brown, red, barley, and rye.

Fruits: bananas, all berries, PINEAPPLE, pink grapefruit, grapes
Veggies: edamame, spinach, peppers, carrots, broccoli, green beans, asparagus

Most beans except lima and butterbeans are in our pantry. I will add white beans in pasta dishes. Black, navy, pinto and/or kidney in rice dishes. Chickpeas and/or pigeon peas in couscous. I will use spices to compliment to beans and carbohydrate. I buy very few pre-packaged or processed foods. I make a great 5 bean salad and whole wheat pasta salads.

These aren't necessarily my faves but they are in constant rotation of the grocery list. We eat a variation of the same meals weekly. It is easier for meal planning and budgeting. Besides, everything I make tastes good, provides energy and nutrition.
I've never heard of "edamame". What is that?? Do they sell it at Publix or Wallmart?

Steamed edamame with coarse salt RULES.

Kale is one of my big faves. Any time I'm making a soup or stew, I'll throw in a bunch or two. Super nutritious, lots of fibre, and keeps its texture nicely when cooked.

Steamed edamame with coarse salt RULES.

Kale is one of my big faves. Any time I'm making a soup or stew, I'll throw in a bunch or two. Super nutritious, lots of fibre, and keeps its texture nicely when cooked.

So whats "Kale"?

Has anyone made "Rice Cakes" before? I have a shit ton of rice, (The Boil in a Bag rice), and I have like bologna and cheese I could maybe use as the stuffing? Does rice get sticky after you boil it? or do you have to like cook it more or less for it to be able to mold it into shapes?

Kale is a dark green leafy vegetable, looks something like a cross between a little collard green leaf and a giant curly parsley leaf. Quite fibrous, but gets tender (and rarely mushy) when steamed or blanched. Spectacularly healthy, and surprisingly versatile. One time I took a few bunches of kale, cut them into large bite sized pieces, tossed in a bit of oil and then baked the leaves until crispy. Added a bit of coarse salt and cayenne, and had spicy kale chips! Crunchy, healthy, salty awesomeness.

The stickiness of rice depends more on the type of rice I think. The shorter the grain, the more starch gets released into the cooking water, which leads to sticky rice. Long grain rice (like basmati) tends to stay pretty distinct, whereas very short grain rice (like arborio) will get sticky, slimy and awesome. If you're trying to make rice cakes from long grain rice, then you could try adding a tablespoon of flour near the end of the rice's cooking process, or partially mash the rice to increase the stickiness. Then it should just be a matter of molding it into the shapes you want and baking low and slow until they dry out.

So whats "Kale"?

Has anyone made "Rice Cakes" before? I have a shit ton of rice, (The Boil in a Bag rice), and I have like bologna and cheese I could maybe use as the stuffing? Does rice get sticky after you boil it? or do you have to like cook it more or less for it to be able to mold it into shapes?

Jesus D's, you really need this thread! Bologna? Making rice cakes? What is kale and edamame? LOL! Check out the recipe thread and welcome to healthy living. Now if you need a cannabutter recipe, I have that too ;)

D why are you asking such simple questions that can take only 10 secs to google ?

Broccoli and Spinach! The stuff your Mom told you you need to eat! I am appreciating that stuff more every day! How about Green Tea???? OMFG!! You have to read this article from World's Healthiest Foods.com - It is simply mind blowing.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=146

Amazing! Lowering one's chance of cancer, being healthier in every aspect of life. For Women, lowering the risk of death by 23% of all causes???? Holy Shit!! I'm not even a woman- too late for that- I lost out on that chance when a Y sperm fertilized the X egg. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! My next big thing is Lycopene- Tomato's greatest nutrient! Yumm!
Swallow that one and tell me you aren't happy.

^Lol green tea is good stuff indeed. I drink several cups each day :D
But dont count other teas out. White tea has some wonderful antioxidant, anticancer, and antiviral properties as well, sometimes more then green tea. Although EGCG is found only in green tea.